With a new year upon us, the buzz of new year’s resolutions and the latest diet trends can be hard to escape. When you’re thinking about your health and the new year, consider these tips for a better 2019 version of you!
Eat for health.
Cleanse your pallet and spice up your routine with new and healthy foods–especially fruits and vegetables that are bright in color!.
- Explore cookbooks or recipe websites for new ideas.
- Add a new flair to an old recipe by adding fresh herbs and spices to not only delight your senses, but also boost nutrition.
Escape the diet mentality.
New diets come and go, and the dieting mentality generally focuses on numbers and temporary goals. This often includes the idea of “bad” foods and calorie counting.
- The non-dieting mentality is about having a positive, health-focused mindset.This includes mindful eating and being active, because it makes you feel good.
- Trust your body for fullness and hunger.
- A simple mindset shift may be all you need to focus on a healthy lifestyle rather than a certain weight.
If you are tired of the same trip to the gym, try something new! There are endless Colorado activities that you can explore to help you stay in shape and feel energized in the New Year.
- Add adventure to your day by getting outside to snowshoe, ski or walk, or grab a friend and try a swing dancing or cycling class.
- Find activities that you enjoy so that you want to do them more often and look forward to each new day and/or adventure!
If you’re trying to become more active in the new year, make sure your goals are realistic. If hitting the gym for an hour a day isn’t doable, try to get out for a 30 minute walk a few times each week.
- Some of the most effective goals are SMART goals. SMART stands for:Specific
- For example, a SMART goal would be: “I will walk around my neighborhood at a quick pace for 20 minutes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 7 a.m. for 4 weeks”.
A new year means exciting new opportunities. If you’re tired of your workout routine or the same list of groceries, with a little effort you can explore new ways to live, eat and play for a healthier and happier you in 2019!