Fuel Your Body for the Day with Breakfast
You’ve probably heard breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And guess what? Research continues to show that it really is! The word “breakfast” comes from “breaking the fast”, or refueling your body after going all night without food. This fuel sets the tone for the rest of the day in getting your body and mind going in the morning.
Benefits to Eating a Balanced Breakfast:
- Replenishes Blood Sugar – After getting a solid 8 hours of sleep, your body needs to replenish its blood sugar to help your brain function properly.
- Energizes the Body – Eating a nutritious and filling breakfast will allow you to be productive all morning long.
- Helps Achieve a Healthy Weight – Research shows that those who eat breakfast have an easier time maintaining a healthy weight.
- Reduces the Risk for Heart Disease – Eating breakfast as part of a balanced diet can decrease the risk of chronic diseases including heart disease.
Benefits of Oatmeal
A bowl of oatmeal is a great option to get your day started every morning. It is made up of whole grains, complex carbohydrates and full of fiber, so it keeps you full longer.
Oatmeal contains both types of fiber (soluble and insoluble), which are important components to a healthy diet. Fiber is the part of plant-based foods that the body can’t break down.
- Insoluble fiber passes through the digestive system, keeping waste moving properly and flushing out harmful components which may be associated with some cancers. Insoluble fiber is the “bulky” roughage fiber we are most familiar with that helps regulate the digestive tract and prevent or treat constipation, hemorrhoids and diverticulosis.
- Soluble fiber absorbs water to form a gel-like substance inside the digestive system, helping to control blood sugar levels and reduce blood cholesterol levels.
Oats come in a variety of forms–from instant to steel cut. Oatmeal is easy to make and take when you don’t have time to sit down for breakfast. There are so many ways you can customize it to your liking by adding flavors such as: dried fruit, fresh fruit, fruit juice, honey, brown sugar, honey, yogurt, nuts and more!