YAY! Spring break is here but wait, that means we need to find things to do with our kids! Have no fear! From trails to museums, Colorado has plenty of spring break activities to keep the whole family entertained the whole week.
- Find a park: Pack healthy lunches, find a kite, balls or bats for a memorable afternoon.
- Spring hiking adventure: Find a hiking trail to connect with nature. Try to identify plants or bugs you see along your way to turn your hike into an educational activity.
- Take the bikes out for a spin: After the cold winter, strapping on a bike helmet never felt so good! Find a great bike path or trail to explore.
- Plant a garden: It’s the gift that keeps on giving. This is also a great opportunity to get your hands dirty.
- Set up an obstacle course: Exercise! What a way to start a day. Build an obstacle course to go through before you start each day of spring break.
- Explore a museum: Explore everything from the wild west to modern art. Take your pick of adventure and learning.
- STEM day: Find a couple STEM activities to encourage learning throughout the week.
- Tour a farm: Many farmers and ranchers love teaching about what they do. Ask your neighbor, local Extension Office or Facebook groups if they know of anyone willing to give you a tour.
- Join a cooking class or create your own: Kids love helping in the kitchen! Teach them healthy habits by cooking a healthy meal. Don’t forget to teach proper hygiene while cooking!
- Grocery Store, This or That: While shopping at the grocery store play the “this or that” game. For example, ask, ” Would you like apples or grapes this week?” Give them a choice and allow them to make the decision.
- Games & Worksheets: Find a fun game to play to teach healthy eating habits.
- Join an art class: There are a lot of creative arts, pottery or painting classes to join.
- Build a bird house: Use items that were going to end up in the trash to recycle into a bird house.
- Messy fun: Set the kids up in the backyard with some inexpensive shaving cream and some food coloring. Watch the fun begin.
- Paint some kindness: The Kindness Rocks Project is painting rocks with kind messages and leaving them around town for others to pick up.
Just for Fun Activities:
- Spirit Week: Make your spring break a spirit week. Have a theme for each day. For example, on Monday dress in your pajamas.
- Build a fort: How fun is a backyard fort? Use anything from card board to wood to build your child’s personal oasis or secret fortress.
- Write a story: Make up a story together and have your kids illustrate it. It will be a great keepsake.
- Have a campout: Pitch a tent in the yard and have a picnic. Look at the stars and enjoy the moment.
Whatever you decide to do with your family this spring break will be memorable. Enjoy the world, the moment, and the fun.