We are at the end of 2020 and winter is here, COVID-19 is still with us and we are not out of the woods. It has kept us inside more than the weather has this year. With Colorado winters ranging from warm to cold and from sunny to snowy getting outside can be challenging. However, it is important for our physical and mental health. Most cold days, we want to stay inside around a warm fire with hot cocoa in our hands, on a couch, and watching a good movie. Therefore, we need to make a special effort to get out of our houses this winter for fun outside activities for the whole family to enjoy!
Winter Outside Activities:
- Build a snowman– When that perfect snow storm comes, make some time to build a snowman and maybe even have a snowball fight.
- Go sledding- Find a country road or a perfect hill to go sledding!
- Take a wintry hike- Bundle up and get your cardio in with a nice hike or walk. Try some of your favorite summer trails and find their beauty in a winter scene.
- Try snowshoeing or ice skating- Order your gear and take up a new hobby.
- Ice fishing– Socially distance and find your inner fisherman.
- Create a scavenger hunt- This could be done in your backyard or throughout the neighborhood. Hide clues for your children to help them find a prize.
- Mission Animal Tracks– Look for animal tracks in the snow whether in your yard, the park, or on a trail. After finding tracks, identify them with your family.
Outside Food Activities:
- Make a snow cone- Start with clean and fresh snow and add favorite flavorings.
- Stir up snow ice cream – Start with clean and fresh snow, add some milk, vanilla flavoring and sugar and mix. Eat right away.
- Campfire & S’mores- A nice crackling fire, a s’mores treat, and a few laughs may be all the soul needs.
- Learn to cook over a fire- Cooking over a campfire brings a rustic feel back to cooking.
No matter what outdoor activity best fits your family make sure you get outside. Explore the Colorado outdoors and it’s full winter beauty.